While we love nothing more than designing a stunning landscape that is lush with grass, shrubs, and flowers, we recognize that this type of landscape isn’t what everyone needs, and it may not be what you need either. One equally beautiful option that may be better suited for your property is a xeriscape, or a landscape design that requires little to no irrigation and is perfect for arid climates.
There are many advantages of a xeriscape, but for the sake of concision, here are just five reasons to xeriscape your yard:
- Save Money- Because a xeriscape requires little in the way of irrigation or maintenance, you can save an impressive amount of money when you choose it over traditional landscaping. Spend your money elsewhere instead of putting it all towards high water bills and gardening.
- Save Time- On a similar note, xeriscaping your yard saves you time because you won’t have to spend hours mowing a lawn or pulling weeds every few weeks.
- Conserve Water- One of the main reasons to xeriscape your yard is to conserve water. According to the EPA, residential outdoor water use in the U.S. amounts to about 8 billion gallons of water per day, so anything you can do to reduce your outdoor water use is helpful to the environment.
- Reduce Pollution- A xeriscape also reduces pollution since you don’t need to use a gas-powered lawn mower, which is responsible for releasing carbon dioxide and toxic pollutants into the atmosphere.
- Increase Beauty- Lastly, a xeriscape is a great idea because it will add beauty to your property with native plants and nonliving features.